Job Description: Overview
The Director of Adult Programs is responsible for maintaining the program quality, communications, and high level of participation and engagement in current adult programs and activities. As well, the Director manages and executes a variety of programs including cardio tennis, USTA league teams and UTR events, and family social activities.
Located on the grounds of The Harley School, a 100-year old private, independent college-preparatory school in Rochester, NY, the Empire Tennis Academy strives to help members improve their game, gain confidence, stay fit and foster long-lasting relationship and bonds with fellow players.
The Academy programs are highly coveted and attract children and adults of all backgrounds, interests, and playing levels. Current programs are heavily subscribed, and in addition to introducing tennis to hundreds of players each year, the Academy’s professionals offer and curate a frequent schedule of events and activities typically found at a private club, or an active public facility.
The Rochester area forms the core of a larger metropolitan area that serves as the fourth most populous city in the state of New York. Rochester is known for its culture, particularly its music culture. While known for its long, cold winters, the remaining seasons are ideal; with cool, comfortable summers and brilliantly colorful falls.
The Director of Adult Programs will appreciate working closely alongside Owner/Director of Tennis Jason Speirs, a USPTA Elite Professional.
This role is for someone who loves the sport at all levels / and has a strong desire to forge a successful career in tennis in a special professional environment. The new Director will be encouraged and supported in their professional growth, including through continuing education, and a consistent level of professionalism across all operations. This position is an ideal opportunity for a professional who is looking to learn the business under the tutelage of a respected industry professional.
Essential Functions and Expectations
The Director of Adult Programs will oversee, manage, and deliver a variety of adult-focused group instruction and social offerings for players of all abilities. The Director will also serve as a staff professional in the delivery of several junior program offerings. Private lessons are taught primarily in the outdoor season (May to mid-October) due to court availability constraints. The Director of Adult Programs is an essential component in the growth and expansion of Empire Tennis Academy.
● Provide strong on-court leadership with excellent communication skills.
● Train and develop part-time assistant tennis professionals to assist in the delivery of Adult programs.
● Monitor court utilization for non-Adult programs, and work to fill any open time with flexible, “at-once” Adult programming
● Integrate with and foster a team culture among staff that is centered on achieving operating goals with the highest levels of personalized service.
● Communicate formally and informally with team program participants and new players about programs, events, and activities while encouraging participation and engagement.
● Support the Academy’s business objectives by working to maximize revenue and controlling costs, while never compromising ethics, or in providing the highest quality service to all players.
● Maintain the courts, building, and equipment in safe, working, and clean condition.
● Maintains a strong on-court presence on weekend days
Qualifications: Personal Traits / Experience / Education / Certification
● A USPTA certified professional with experience teaching Adult players of all levels, as well as recreational junior players, including new players of all ages.
● Highly driven and with a motivated, self-driven work ethic.
● A desire to grow professionally, a willingness to learn from others, and a passion for impacting the lives of others through the sport of tennis.
● A willingness and capability to promote the sport of tennis, and the Academy
● Organized, outgoing, and 100% committed to providing a fun playing environment for all players.
● Service-oriented, detail-oriented, and action-oriented.
● Playing ability of NTRP 4.5
Compensation / Benefits / Professional Support
● Compensation is structured to support the new Director with a base salary of $55,000 – $60,000. The base salary is guaranteed, based on a workweek of 35 – 45 hours. Of this time, approximately 20 – 25 hours will likely be spent on-court, delivering Adult Group Programs, as well as assisting with some Junior Group Instructional programs.
● Private Lessons can be scheduled, for which the Director is compensated at an hourly rate. Due to court availability constraints, most private instruction will be given during the outdoor season (May to mid-October).
● A $3,600 per year ‘insurance stipend’ will be paid in addition to the base salary.
● A $500 per year Educational Allowance reimbursement will be given, after one full year of employment.