DIRECTOR OF RACQUETS PROFILE:
KALAMAZOO COUNTRY CLUB
THE DIRECTOR OF RACQUETS OPPORTUNITY AT KALAMAZOO COUNTRY CLUB
The Kalamazoo Country Club (KCC) opportunity is a career opening for a true, well-rounded racquets professional who currently possesses a skill set in tennis, paddle and pickleball to serve as the Director of Racquets (DOR). This rare opportunity will allow the successful candidate to build a program that transcends the current modest facility to a new state of the art racquets facility in just over two years’ time. Being involved on the ground floor in development and design of a new facility is a highlight to anyone’s career. When the new racquets center, along with a new “world-class” clubhouse and member activities center are completed, this candidate will be considered for the new “Director of Athletics” role based upon his/her efforts.
KALAMAZOO COUNTRY CLUB AND COMMUNITY
The strength of the Kalamazoo Country Club comes from the impressive composition of community stakeholders that comprise a membership which values excellence, both personally and professionally. From their inception over a century ago, the club has been built and guided by Members that seek out the best– from championship grade golf to the finest dining. KCC is a membership that values family and are proud that the Club is a place where generations come together.
The Kalamazoo Country Club has recently come under the stewardship of the Stryker/Johnston family and is a jewel tucked in the heart of Kalamazoo that will take you away from the hustle of the city to a breathtakingly beautiful and serene year-round resort. Enjoyable activities are in full swing every month at KCC featuring unique social events for both adults and children. Family time is a focus at KCC with youth enrichment activities and events scheduled weekly both indoors as well as outdoors.
The KCC Clubhouse experience was created for Members to enjoy and guests to remember at several different dining venues. KCC Staff treats members and guests with personalized service. The Executive Chef creatively varies weekly features and continues to complement Clubhouse favorites.
During spring and summer, Members enjoy golfing, swimming, playing tennis, pickleball, socializing and participating in outdoor events. In the winter members play Platform Tennis, sledding, ice fishing, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing, as well as participating in indoor programming, dining, and family memory-making celebrations. The Club’s incredible landscape, preserved for over a century, makes for one of the most magical locations in Southwest Michigan.
The Kalamazoo Community is an excellent place to raise a family with a low cost of living, extremely favorable housing market, solid schools, close proximities to Lake Michigan, Detroit & Chicago, and plenty of things to do for entertainment.
KALAMAZOO COUNTRY CLUB BY THE NUMBERS
- There are approximately 425 family memberships in all categories.
- Currently racquet players include 100 adults and 80 juniors.
- There are currently 3 newly resurfaced cushioned hard courts, 6 pickleball courts that double on those courts and 2 paddle courts, a warming hut, reception area and pro shop.
- The new facility is being planned to include 8 Har Tru tennis courts, 4 paddle courts, a designated pickleball facility and new pro shop and offices, along with a new clubhouse. Options for indoor tennis and squash are in discussions.
- $15,000 Initiation fee full member with annual dues of $7,200/yr
- $7,500 Social membership with annual dues of $4,800/yr
- Approximately $6M Gross revenues from all sources
- 172 Employees (FTE) during the height of the current summer season; 275 Employees (FTE) estimate with the new facility
- Tennis/Racquet Revenue: $750,000
- Average age of members is 53 and trending younger with the social contingency consisting of many young families
- The Club is currently engaged in the planning process for a new facility that will contain the main clubhouse, a golf performance center, fitness center, bowling alleys, movie theater, resort style pool activities and a new racquets complex.
- Jonas is the POS system
KALAMAZOO COUNTRY CLUB WEB SITE: www.kalamazoocountryclub.com
DIRECTOR OF RACQUETS POSITION OVERVIEW
The DOR position is comprehensive and must ensure the successful achievement of the mission and objectives of KCC. The DOR is responsible for the oversight and execution of the entire Racquet Sports Program and will work directly with the General Manager/COO and all respective staff to ensure clear and consistent communications as it pertains to expectations, organization, labor costs, services offered and overall operation of the department.
The initial objective of this position is to build a strong program with the current facility over the next two years. This includes programming and participation in tennis, paddle and pickleball. Then when the new “state of the art” racquets facility is built, the program will flourish and have significant momentum to move into the new facility.
The DOR will be responsible for the operations of all Tennis, Pickleball, and Paddle programming and facilities; in an effort to deliver the best experience for both Members and guests. Additional responsibilities include being able to forecast, plan and manage all facets of the Department including, instructional, staff mentorship and supervision, social and competitive programming and of course the highest level of member service.
The DOR is a highly visible position requiring a strong presence, leadership, and communication skills with Members and Staff Members alike. He or she is expected to be a passionate leader of the organization, promoting racquets at the Club and at the community level.
The DOR is the ‘face’ of KCC racquets and is expected to ensure that the best interests of the membership are supported and enhanced through leadership. Of extreme importance is the continued development and motivation of an effective and dedicated team, leading to increasing levels of membership satisfaction and participation.
Under the direction of the General Manager/COO, the DOR administers the policies, procedures, and programs of KCC relating to all Racquets. This position is a member of the Executive Leadership Team and works closely with all Club department leaders to ensure the achievement of KCC’S mission, values, and objectives.
Member, Staff Member, and Community Relations
- True collaborator/participant and believer in setting the direction and service environment for the overall team.
- Know and support Kalamazoo Country Club’s Simple Truth and core values.
- Provide quality leadership and a positive, highly visible, and engaging style. A genuine, accessible, and approachable personality is an essential element of success.
- Must be a passionate ambassador for all racquet sports with the ability to transfer that passion to the team members.
- Oversees top-flight racquets operations and programming, with exemplary service and connectivity to Members and Staff Members.
- Is sincerely active and visibly interactive with staff, Members, and their guests on a daily basis.
- Is a strong “consensus builder,” recognizing the importance of having effective skills to reconcile differences and inspire solutions for a better operation and Member experience.
- Is an ambassador for Kalamazoo Country Club, as well as the racquets community in Greater Southwest Michigan.
Business and Financial Acumen
- Responsible for the development of racquets annual operating and capital budgets for the current facility and the future facility.
- Reviews financial reports, and proactively manages trending projections (both positive and negative) and preparing necessary and proper analysis.
- Owns and ensures that a recognized racquets merchandise and retail operation is in place, representing the desires and expectations of the members, to which he/she has regular interactions with to gauge satisfaction.
- Has strong knowledge of key metrics and benchmarking and works closely with other key Club professionals to ensure appropriate and necessary evaluations are in place, as well as clearly defined plans to meet annual goals.
- A history of involvement with his/her professional organizations, including the PTR, USPTA, USTA, to ensure keen knowledge of current trends, best practices, new innovations, along with a strong network of resources.
- Provide organizational and structural support all racquets’ activities including practice and play.
- Oversee department POS operations to ensure accurate billing and accurate sales/activity reports.
- Attend all meetings as required.
- Enforce all Club’s Rules and Regulations governing use of the facilities, equipment, dress code and sportsmanship as set forth by the Club.
- Work in tandem with the Club’s highly regarded Maintenance Staff to ensure they are proficient in court and amenity maintenance.
- Prepare promotional items and event results for the website, Club bulletin and e-blasts.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE/SELECTION CRITERIA
- A strong and passionate leader with a proven track record of providing premier services in a dynamic, preferably multiple racquets sport, large membership environment.
- Be obsessive about their “Say-Do” ratio
- A proven track record in all racquet player and program development.
- A resume showing progressively more responsible positions and demonstrating experience in delivering both group and individual instructional programs to players of various age groups and skill levels. Additionally, the candidate should have a proven history of high ethical standards.
- A verifiable motivator and leader who can bring out the best in others by setting clear goals and expectations, holding them accountable for outcomes, by providing consistent feedback, support and through respectful interaction and professionalism.
- Someone with a history of innovation, and a champion of new ideas and initiatives, looking to consistent improvement of member experiences and operational efficiency.
- Of equal importance are exemplary two-way communication (both written and spoken) and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with all committees. The candidate must possess a proven ability to attract, hire, develop and lead a high performing team of professionals while setting standards of performance appropriate to perpetuating the traditions and values of KCC.
- The candidate will exhibit excellent organizational, technological and time management skills.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION PREFERENCES
- College degree from 4-year accredited university.
- Vast teaching and programming experience.
- Certified preferred as a PTR, PPR, PPTA professional or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club, along with the typical senior staff benefits, offers an excellent bonus and benefit package, including continuing education.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter, in that order, using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process. Please be sure your image is not present on your resume or cover letter; that should be used on your LinkedIn Profile.
Prepare a thoughtful cover letter addressed to Andrew Tkact, General Manager Kalamazoo Country Club and clearly articulate your alignment with this role and why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why KCC and the Kalamazoo area will be beneficial to you, your family, your career, and the Club if selected.
You must apply for this role as soon as possible but no later than September 26, 2021. Candidate selections will occur late October. The new candidate should assume his/her role in December 2021.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name – Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name – Cover Letter – KCC”
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
If you have any questions, please email Patty Sprankle: email@example.com
Lead Search Executive:
Len Simard, Search Executive