DIRECTOR OF RACQUET SPORTS – POSITION OVERVIEW
The DORS is a highly visible position requiring strong presence, leadership, and communication skills with Members and Staff alike. The DORS is expected to be a passionate leader of the organization, promoting racquets at the Club, and engaging the team to have a similar enthusiasm. Of extreme importance is the continued development and motivation of an effective and dedicated team, leading to increasing levels of membership satisfaction. The DORS will work directly with the General Manager, Racquets Committee, racquets staff, and all respective staff to ensure clear and consistent communications as it pertains to expectations, organization, labor costs, services offered, and overall operation.
The DORS will be responsible for all Tennis, Pickleball, and Platform Tennis operations, including the utilization of all facilities, oversight, and execution of its programs to deliver the best experience for both members and guests. He/She will be able to forecast, plan and manage all facets of the department including, instructional, staff mentorship and supervision, social and competitive programming, and of course, the highest level of member service.
The goal of the Racquets Program is to deliver a consistent member/guest experience that meets or exceeds expectations daily. The DORS will strive to maximize revenues through creative planning and strategies that increase sales while enhancing participation and the member experience.
INITIAL PRIORITIES OF THE NEW DIRECTOR OF RACQUETS
• Provide quality leadership and a positive, highly visible, and engaging style. A genuine, accessible, and approachable personality is essential to success.
• Oversees top-flight racquets operations and programming, with exemplary service and connectivity to Members and Staff Members.
• It would be the responsibility of the DORS to provide leadership and direction to the Racquets committees, all while sharing their vision and goals for the path of WSTC racquet sports.
• Develop and implement a teaching philosophy that embraces WSTC’s values and traditions; incorporate standardized teaching methodologies as appropriate.
• Play tennis, paddle, and pickleball with the membership and provide a limited amount of instruction to all skill levels to encourage relationship building.
• Organize, schedule, and manage tournaments, interclub teams, clinics, round robins, social events, and other tennis, pickleball, and platform tennis-related activities to maximize members’ access to and enjoyment of the facilities.
• Create an annual calendar of events that includes events and activities for adults and juniors to include competitive, social, and instructional programming for all levels, and other events/activities deemed to enhance the racquets experience at the Club.
• Continue and enhance a high-level and respected junior instructional program that meets the demand of all juniors. The Program will include social and competitive activities and be comprehensive, creative, and innovative for all levels. Proficient in the understanding of the “USTA’s 10 and Under” protocol.
• Responsible for the development of racquets annual operating and capital budgets, meeting and/or exceeding financial targets for the racquet’s programs, reviewing financial reports, proactively managing trending projections, and preparing necessary and proper analyses.
• Owns and manages a racquets merchandise and retail operation, including tennis, platform tennis, and pickleball merchandise. Regular interaction with members to gauge their expectations and satisfaction with the pro shop’s offerings.
• Will have strong administrative skills to be able to organize and deliver an operational manual to the departments.
• Oversee department POS operations to ensure accurate billing and accurate sales/activity reports.
• Attend all Executive Staff, Racquets Committee, and some sub-committee meetings. Responsible for drafting the Committee agendas in coordination with the General Manager/COO and respective Committee Chair.
• Works in tandem with the Club’s highly regarded Grounds Staff.
• Prepare weekly promotional items and event results for the website, social media platforms, and e-blasts.
• A minimum of five (5) years of progressive leadership/racquets management experience in (preferably) a private member-owned club with multi-dimensional operations, or leading racquets operations outside of the club industry in a similar hospitality operation. A head professional or first assistant at an extremely successful club and racquets program will be considered with appropriate experience and mentorship.
• A strong and passionate leader with a proven track record of providing premier services in a dynamic, preferably multiple racquets sport, large membership environment.
• A proven track record in all racquet player and program development.
• Verifiable strength in strategic planning and working closely with boards, committees, and other key contributors to develop, execute, and update strategies for success.
• A verifiable motivator and leader who can bring out the best in others by setting clear goals and expectations, holding them accountable for outcomes, by providing consistent feedback, support and through respectful interaction and professionalism.
• Someone with a history of innovation, and a champion of new ideas and initiatives, looking to consistently improve member experiences and operational efficiency.
• A history of involvement with his/her professional organizations, including the PTR, USPTA, USTA, to ensure keen knowledge of current trends, best practices, and new innovations, along with a strong network of resources.
• Provide organizational and structural support to the various Racquets teams and leagues.
• Of equal importance are exemplary two-way communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills. The candidate must possess a proven ability to attract, hire, develop, and lead a high-performing team of professionals while setting standards of performance appropriate to perpetuating the traditions and values of WSTC.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
• College degree from a 4-year accredited university is preferred, or equivalent working experience in the racquets industry.
• Certified as a PPR or IPTPA, PPTR or PPTA, and PTR or USPTA Elite professional is a requirement. Ideally the candidate is certified in all three sports or is progressing on this path.
• The Director of Racquet Sports designation though the University of Florida is preferred. Endorsed by the USTA and certified through the PTR and USPTA this is the “CCM” of the Club management world for racquets sports.
• Knowledge of Court Maintenance including Har-Tru, clay courts, grass courts, pickleball courts, and paddle courts preferred.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Upload your resume and cover letter, in that order, using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process. Please be sure your image is not present on your resume or cover letter; that should be used on your LinkedIn Profile.
Prepare a thoughtful cover letter addressed to Mr. Layosh Toth, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why the West Side Tennis Club and the Greater New York will be beneficial to you, your family, your career, and the Club if selected.