UNITED STATES TENNIS ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED
Position Title: Director of Tennis Department: NTC Teaching Programs
Name: Whitney Kraft
- PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Responsible for running all tennis programs, events, and tournaments; the hiring, training, and development of the entire NTC Programs staff; to be an industry leader, publicly representing the ideals of the USTA.
- MAJOR DUTIES:
- Develop and administer budget for program and event revenues and expenses.
- Hiring of quality teaching professional staff.
- Develop training programs and education requirements for teaching staff.
- Develop programs and events that enhance the image of NTC.
- Develop and supervise all lesson programming (clinics, small groups, and privates).
- Coordinate court bookings and lesson programming with programs office and front desk staff.
- Make sure all USTA initiatives are conducted at a high quality level at the NTC.
- Cooperate with Community Tennis and Player Development units to test and present new programs as a “model” to the rest of the country.
- Establish and maintain critical customer-based relationship and cooperation with New York City, Borough of Queens, New York City Department of Parks, New York Junior Tennis League, USTA/Eastern and other New York based organizations.
- Maintain certification of teaching staff with USPTA and PTR.
- Maintain a close working relationship with national organizations, e.g., IHRSA, TIA, NRPA, ITA, NPPTA, ATA, NJTL, USPTA, PTR, etc.
- Develop a lesson program strategy to utilize indoor/outdoor court time efficiency.
- Review annually the teaching staff salaries, group and private lesson rates.
- Establish teaching staff protocol and lesson/clinic quality standards.
- Develop and promote activities to drive participation.
- Develop marketing strategy for programs and event promotions.
- Develop annual performance objectives for self and teaching staff, programs office staff, business coordinator, front desk staff and locker room staff.
- Some on-court teaching hours.
C. KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
- Achieving annual performance objectives.
- Ability to manage budget and staff.
- Program growth and profitability.
- Evaluation of core competencies including initiative, teamwork, cooperation, job knowledge and some attention to both external and internal constituencies.
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
All professional teaching staff.
Programs office staff
Front desk staff
Locker room staff
E. INTERNAL RELATIONSHIP
- Report directly to Managing Director
- US Open responsibilities (typically as Director of Player Operations)
- USTA Eastern Section (various committees is a natural outreach and coordinating on-site events with Section staff)
- Community Tennis Development Division
- Player Development Division
F. EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Close cooperation with Queens Borough officials
- Local community organizations, Parks and Recreation, NYJTL, etc.,
- USPTA and PTR teaching associations
- Tennis Industry Association, Intercollegiate Tennis Association
- Other industry “partners”
G. TRAVEL DEMANDS
- USTA Annual and Semi-Annual Meeting (as requested)
- USTA Community Tennis Development Workshop
- USPTA World Conference
- PTR International Symposium
- College Degree or equivalent experience
- Tennis-teaching ability and extensive tennis background
- Tennis-playing ability (with a history that includes being a ranked player preferably)
- USPTA and PTR certified
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experienced presenter
- Ability in analysis, planning, promotions, and management
- Highly competent computer skills
- Position is considered exempt