General Manager of NYJTL Cary Leeds Center for Tennis & Learning
Job Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: NYJTL Cary Leeds Center for Tennis & Learning in Bronx, NY
About New York Junior Tennis & Learning
For over fifty years, New York Junior Tennis & Learning (NYJTL) has honored its founder Arthur Ashe’s legacy by celebrating the diversity of children, encouraging them to reach their highest potential through free tennis and academic programs. NYJTL is the largest provider of youth tennis and education programs in the nation, providing services in 100 unique sites across all five boroughs while reaching 90,000 kids. In addition, NYJTL designed, funded (with NYC), built and operates the Cary Leeds Center for Tennis & Learning in the South Bronx. All NYJTL community tennis and after school programs are offered at no cost to its participants.
The mission of NYJTL is to develop the character of young people through tennis and education for a lifetime of success, on and off the court. It believes life skills gained through tennis, academics, healthy living, and character development are a catalyst for long-term achievement.
The General Manager will spearhead the internal and external management, community impact, financial health, resource deployment, quality, and growth of NYJTL’s flagship tennis facility. As a member of the senior leadership team with P&L responsibility, they will collaborate with the CEO to oversee an annual budget of $3 million raised from a variety of sources, including governments, private participants, corporations, special events, and community partners. This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader who is passionate about building tennis activity in underserved communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
A. Business Operations
• Collaborate with the Center’s tennis leadership to oversee the quality and growth of all programs (Lesson, Adult and Junior Program) and court rentals. Explore new revenue-generating opportunities.
• Oversee front desk operations, ensuring proper intake, client services, and revenue management
• Organize and promote tennis tournaments, events, and clinics to boost facility visibility.
• Collaborate with the CFO on financial matters and decisions, including: pricing, budget development, expense management, vendor contracts
• Analyze financial and client data being captured in Club Automation, the Center’s customer relationship management (CRM) system
• Ensure smoothly functioning site openings/closings, maintenance, NY City/State regulatory compliance, safety/security, procurement of goods/services, vendor relations
• Handle all aspects of: event hosting, preparation and planning; meetings; third-party inquiries and contractual agreements
• Direct the procurement of equipment and monitoring of inventory at the pro shop
• Identify opportunities for expansion and capital improvements
• Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of tennis courts, buildings, parking lot and equipment.
• Recruit, hire, train, and supervise administrative personnel. Develop marketing plans and strategies to increase facility revenue, usage and program participation.
B. Community Tennis Activities
• Cultivate and manage relationships with public and private partners as well as youth participants
• Liaise with local elected officials, neighborhood leaders and other stakeholders to grow the Center’s footprint and impact in the community
• Ensure that key metrics such as participation rates, free court time, and Scholar Athlete college attendance meet or exceed internal standards and external expectations
• Collaborate with NYJTL’s Community Tennis Program and ACES (after school program in NYC public schools) staff vis-à-vis tennis components in their respective areas
• Commitment to community service, youth development and education
• Bachelor’s degree
• 10+ years’ progressive experience in a combination of (tennis strongly preferred): sports programming development, sales management, facilities operations, adult/youth after-school programs, coaching/instruction
• Track record of revenue generation within a commercial environment: retail outlet, sports facility, professional franchise, dealership, fundraising campaigns/events, auctions or similar
• Ability to parlay business acumen to sports-based youth development non-profits
• Technologically savvy and comfortable using online platforms
• Excellent interpersonal and written/spoken communication skills
• Ability to create and foster a positive and collaborative work environment
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
• Hands-on approach to work execution
The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by this position. Other functions may be assigned, and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “General Manager” in the subject line.
$135K – $150K
NYJTL values the diversity of the people we hire and inspire. Diversity at our organization means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We center equity in all our work and in our hiring practices.
For more information about NYJTL, please visit www.nyjtl.org.