BALTIMORE COUNTRY CLUB HEAD RACQUETS PROFESSIONAL POSITION OVERVIEW
The general roles and responsibilities of the HRP will be to deliver a range of services customarily provided by a PTR Professional or an Elite USPTA professional. These services will include, but are not limited to:
• Be a passionate ambassador for the games of tennis, platform tennis, squash and pickleball.
• Provide private and group lessons for tennis, platform tennis and pickleball – to both adults and children and oversee lessons taught by all professionals.
• Play tennis, pickleball, and platform tennis at a high level and provide instruction to members of varying skill levels to facilitate skill development and relationship building. Hours on court will be around 20 during the winter months, but then flexing to 32 hours plus for the spring, summer, and fall months.
• Assure a consistent, efficient, and seamless daily operation of Club-wide racquets operations; provide members and guests with an environment that exceeds the values of the Club.
• Enthusiastically encourage member participation by assisting the DOR and also planning new events to promote the sports and fellowship in the Club. Organize, schedule, and manage tournaments, clinics, round robins, social events, and other tennis related activities to maximize members’ access to and enjoyment of the tennis and pickleball facilities.
• Together with the DOR, help create a comprehensive events, leagues and activities program to include social, competitive and instructional programming for all levels.
• Participation and administrative responsibilities in the BCC boutique, junior summer camp.
• Follow the BCC teaching philosophy. Implement that philosophy throughout the racquet’s programs.
• Understand the department’s POS operations to ensure accurate member billing and accurate sales/activity reports.
• Attend all appropriate BCC staff meetings.
• Work in tandem with the Club’s highly regarded Maintenance Staff.
• Enforce all the Club’s Rules and Regulations governing use of the facilities, equipment, dress code and sportsmanship as set forth by the Club.
Desired Candidate Qualifications/Experience/Selection Criteria
The ideal candidate should be an engaging, charismatic and energetic professional with a minimum of five years of experience teaching tennis. A head professional or an assistant at a successful club and racquets program will be considered with appropriate experience.
• A minimum of three (3) years of progressive leadership/racquets management experience in (preferably) a private member-owned club with multi-dimensional operations, or leading racquets operations outside of the club industry in a similar hospitality operation. An assistant racquets professional at a reputable club and racquets program will be seriously considered with appropriate experience and mentorship.
• Exemplary communication (both written and spoken), interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively with all staff. The candidate must possess a proven ability to attract and develop players of all abilities.
• Someone who is a champion of new ideas and initiatives, looking to consistently improve the patron experience and operational efficiency.
• The candidate will exhibit excellent organizational, technological and time management skills and have a 5.0 playing competency in tennis. pickleball, and platform tennis.
• A passionate professional who loves education and self-development.
In order to be successful, the HRP must have the following personal attributes:
• Personal character and charisma, leads, and works well with others
• A knowledgeable, positive, service oriented, passionate and hardworking professional
• Loves to teach the games of tennis, pickleball, and platform tennis to all levels
• Has keen problem-solving skills and strong time management abilities
• Has the spirit to create new programs and respect what currently works for the BCC program.
• Possess high energy and genuine desire to interact actively with the membership on a professional and hospitable level
• Ability to create a culture that promotes year-round playing and teaching opportunities for everyone
• Understand and lives the Baltimore Country Club Culture
• Want to continue to learn in order to run his/her own program in the future
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
• College degree from a 4-year accredited university is preferred, or equivalent working experience in the racquets industry.
• Certified as a PPR or IPTPA for pickleball, PPTR or PPTA for platform tennis, and PTR or USPTA Elite professional tennis is a requirement. Ideally, the candidate is certified in all three sports or is progressing on this path.
• The Director of Racquet Sports designation through the University of Florida is preferred, or looking to attain. Endorsed by the USTA and certified through the PTR and USPTA, this is the “CCM” of the Club management world.
• Knowledge of court maintenance including Har-Tru, clay courts, hard surfaced pickleball courts, and platform tennis courts preferred.