The United States Tennis Association (USTA) is the national governing body for the sport of tennis in the United States. Our mission is to promote the development of tennis as a means of healthful recreation, establish and maintain rules of play, and foster national and international amateur and professional tournaments.
The tennis professional’s responsibility is to teach tennis programs, to advocate and implement the Ten and Under format, to conduct private lessons, to be an effective liaison between the NTC and our customers, and to work within the organization during the US Open.
- Demonstrating playing techniques at the very highest levels of play;
- Conducting playing and drilling lessons for all levels of competitive play;
- Teaching, training and facilitating play with individuals and teams at all levels of ability;
- Private instruction and clinics for junior players;
- Assisting with the organization and management of USTA events/tournaments (singles and doubles) as needed;
- Implementing and utilizing player development systems and Net Gen initiative
- Promotion of the USTA via the dissemination of hospitality, friendliness and goodwill among members and guests.
- US Open duties as assigned
- Proof of Vaccine required for position, pursuant to NYC Executive Order.
- Strong on-court tennis skills required as well as ability to effectively communicate and teach tennis to all ages and levels.
- Must have experience teaching high performance students
- Utilize USTA Player Development Philosophy on court and off court
- Able to organize and manage 10 and UNDER tennis formats for teaching tennis to juniors.
- Certification by USPTA and/or PTR organizations is required.
- Position is considered non-exempt.
- Full-time teaching professionals are expected to work no fewer than 35 hours per week, which will be a combination of private and group lessons with a small amount of time required for follow-up administrative duties.
Junior and Adult Teaching:
- Prior experience in R-O-G-Y tennis methodology preferred
- Ability to work in a variety of settings such as summer camp, instructional clinics and with children of all ages
- Comfortable working with 4-6 players in a group clinic format
- Ability to run dynamic drop-in tennis sessions with up to 8 players
- Experience training USTA players and teams